The list of signs and/or symptoms of vitamin deficiencies is so lengthy… it would take me too long to type it up and…it would take you too long to read it. Actually most of the things that occur with our bodies that are “out of the norm” are because of vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
To make this easier to follow I will break down the signs and symptoms into categories.
Any of these could mean you have a vitamin deficiency.
|Athlete’s Foot||Dry skin||Poor elasticity|
|Boils||Cold Sores||Red pimples|
|Itching||Pale Skin||Cracked lips|
|Heat Rash||White Heads|
Most of us have some of the symptoms, which means most of us are deficient in some or all of our essential nutrients. You can go to the Nutritional Assessment section of my website to see how your nutrients measure up.
Hair and Nails
The hair and nail symptoms are plentiful too. The amount of health information that can be gathered just from your hair and nails is amazing.
|Brittle or dry hair||Dandruff||Hangnails|
|Hair loss||White spots on nails||Peeling nails|
|Nail ridges||Scaling of cuticle||Dull or oily hair|
|Split nails||Premature graying||Brittle nails|
Eyes, Mouth, and Tongue
|Sore tongue||Cracked lips||Receding gums|
|Bad breath||Mouth ulcers||Purple or magenta tongue|
|White patches on tongue||Bloodshot eyes||Blurred vision|
|Cataracts||Conjunctivitis||Spots in front of eyes|
|Itchy,burning,watery eyes||Macular Degeneration||Night blindness|
|Thrush||Tooth decay||Gritty eyes|
Other Signs and Symptoms
- Frequent colds or infections
- Muscle twitching or spasms
- Joint pain or stiffness
- Exhaustion after light exercise
- Easy bruising
- Lack of sex drive
- Poor concentration, poor memory
- Tingling hands, feet or legs
- Rapid heartbeat
- Headaches or migraines
- Muscle tremors, cramps or spasms
Unusual Signs and Symptoms
The following are signs that you would probably notice quickly but would not associate with a nutritional deficiency. Most of these symptoms can be associated to a deficiency in just one or two nutrients. I will include the name of the nutrient(s) that you may be deficient in along with the symptom.
- Burning feet or tender heels – Vitamin B5
- Mouth over-sensitive to heat or cold –Vitamin B12
- Prematurely graying hair – Folic Acid and Biotin
- Bleeding of the gums or nose – Vitamin K
- Excessive thirst or sweating, – Omega 3 and 6
- Insomnia, nervousness, or hyperactivity – Magnesium
- Convulsions, fits or epilepsy history – Magnesium and Manganese
- Intense food cravings (sweet, salty, spicy) bland foods are unappetizing – Zinc
- Pungent smells do not bother you – Zinc
- Dizziness or poor sense of balance –Manganese
- Cold sweats, cold hands, need frequent meals, frequent carb cravings, irritability or dizziness after 6 hours without food, and need for excessive sleep – Chromium
I am pretty sure that most of you have experienced some of these symptoms. To find out more about your personal nutritional requirements you can complete the Nutritional Assessments on this website.
Please feel free to leave a comment or ask a question. If there are any particular topics you would like to see discussed please let me know that too!